Sunday, November 30, 2008

Taino Indians



What an incredible day. I was able to visit with a researcher who is studying the Taino Indian's Traditions and Cultures. She wants to learn about the pottery the Indians used when Columbus visited them in 1492. These pictures are photos of pieces that she was working on my last day in San Sal. The Tainos were great basket weavers and used their designs to decorate their pottery as well. They also used slip (color made from clay) to make designs but these pieces only show the basket weaving designs. They may have used other designs as well, can you see a "secret" they may have left? Write me and tell me what you think?

-->
Sadly there are no Taino Indians living on the island today. As we read in "Encounter" most had died by 1510, but their traditions are still here. This is a woman who lives today on San Sal. What do you think she is doing? Look in your Social Studies book and find out what other ancient tribes made baskets. Don't forget, write me and explain your opinions (50 words please).
Next up, some more Taino artifacts and working with Professor Rollino!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Room 26 Look at my blog
Sincerely MS H